Geothermal Energy and Drilling
- This involves drilling boreholes in the ground to extract heat that is stored underneath.
This method may be used for heating or cooling your building.
- Water or other liquids are ran through continuous loops which are installed either vertically or horizontally.
- This is connected to a heat pump which is a compact unit and may be located inside or outside your building.
- Many geologists believe that geothermal energy is well worth developing, and within Ireland the underlying structures give us a good idea where to drill.
- The north Leinster and Munster springs are warm because they are adjacent to deep faulting.
- Ireland is particularly well suited for the extraction of heat from ground sources and if we drill down a few hundreds metres, there is virtually an inexhaustible source of heat.
- Ground source heating systems are a proven technology and have been successfully used worldwide for many years.
- Resent legislation of the latest building regulations sets higher standards for energy conservation.